Skip to main content

Goodbye to teaching at Michaels, HELLO shopping in other craft stores again!


Will miss being able to grab yarn off the shelf and yarn bombing things! 

As many of my readers know for the last 2 years ( longer than I have been blogging) I have worked Michael's arts and crafts as a crochet teacher.
I put in my notice a little over 2 weeks ago and I am now free to discuss my honest opinions about working as a crochet teacher.

Lets start with the PROS
FREE YARN - from what I have heard not all stores follow the same rules but any yarn I demo'ed with and stayed at the store I didn't have to pay for. This was great because I got to try out the more expensive brands I could not afford. In fact many projects here at the blog were demos I did in store ( demos I came up with to sell various products) and I never had to spend a penny on! This is a great bonus if you don't have a large craft budget.
ACCESS TO YARN- You will be in the store more often and therefore see when new yarn comes in! My managers sometimes would call me in to design a project when a new yarn came in... My bellini and sashay patterns came out that way!
MONEY- this is a pro and con but here I will just say hey you are making money doing what you love!
GOOD COMPANY- They are a great company! It is an inspiration to be in the store all the time it's like the creativity just rubs off on you!
Hours- you get to set them.. work at more than one store and really rake in the hours!!!!!!!!!!!
PEOPLE- you get to meet so many awesome and wonderful people! I have students who I now concider friends!

Now to the maybe not so good.......

MONEY- before you can teach at Michael's you have to be Craft Yarn Council Certified and while I know for a fact it has greatly improved my crochet it did cost my 125 plus I had to pay to ship my sample binder... so if you are tight on money ( who isn't?) this could be a hardship!
Then there is the money you make...... the first year and a half I was very happy with it :) However then we got a new not so supportive teacher manager, the rules kept changing on how many students you needed per class and my blog started making more! (THANK YOU FOR READING I am astounded that so many come here and read and I am able to help support my boys with what used to be my stress relief and an escape from a bad relationship) I would also like to mention I rarely taught the provided classes.. People seemed to be more excited by my own designs, however designing new classes off the clock every month was a lot of work and over time it felt like I was under valuing my time. ( crocheting as a artist is not something I expect to get rich off of but it is not something everyone can do.. make sure you feel valued for your talent)  The last few months as I have rarely posted new patterns because I was frustrated with my job and couldn't seem to get the inspiration...
If no one signs up for your classes you don't go in and don't make anything... sometimes you don't know until the day before if you can teach it or not.

I think my time at Michael's was invaluable to me as a teacher, and crochet artist, and would do it over in a heartbeat! I have no hard feelings for the company and if you read the pro con list and want to work there I say HECK YES! I am now excited to go to other craft stores again! When I started working at Michael's I quit going to others so i didn't accidentally bring in supplies to my classes or demos that were only at other stores!  And yesterday I went to joanns! And don't worry i am still teaching crochet I am just doing it privately now and I love it :)

I have 2 new patterns to write out today that I made with the cool things I found yesterday! I love feeling the excited feeling I used to get all the time and it's great to be back! Have you ever experienced a slow in your inspiration? Did you change things up to get over it?
LOOK it's like extreme hairpin lace!!! I am filming this later today!!



Garden party bag coming soon! 

*I am no longer an employee of Michaels and my thoughts are my own and anything written on my site is my opinion and not micheals! **

Comments

  1. Hi, Mary so sorry to hear this. I've been looking at he class schedules to see when you'd be there and NADA! Where can we find you now? We have lots of questions and we really want to continue learning. Leah, Rainy and Rorie Walker (From Michael's class)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this pros and cons blog! I've been debating making the plung to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there. I wonder if you can say exactly how much money you were getting. It would help me decide. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started August 2018 in Laurel, Maryland. The pay is MW $10.00 an hour with the projection of 16 - 20 hours a MONTH!. I am a recent retiree and right now I want the experience more than money. I believe everyone that work at arts and crafts there is for the joy or another agenda. NOT FOR THE MONEY

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Bangle

I wanted to crochet a sideways cross bracelet for some time now but it wasn't until I received this lovely STARDUST( by Red Heart yarn ) that I actually sat down to make it!  This project will fly by you will want to make one for everyone at church :) Stardust - any color you like I used #1303 Brown * this requires very little yarn, so make a lot!* E crochet hook Skill - Advanced Beginner (* HINT this is basically a vertical row or a shell*) First stitch*** Ch3, hdc 3rd ch from hook, ch1, 2 hdc ( all in the same space) Every other one*** *turn, slip stitch until you and in the ch1 space, ch2,1hdc,ch1,2hdc* repeat until you have the length desired, * it should stretch slightly to slide on and off your wrist.. ** suggested lengths _ Woman's s/m ~18 shells l/xl ~20 shells Mans~ 23 shells child~ 11-15 ( 11 fits most five year olds) sew the 2 ends together and weave in your tail at least 4 inches worth so it will not come undone. ***Add the cross part***

Thread Cross Bookmark

I used Aunt Lydia's Crochet thread and a size D hook. Make a magic circle Round 1 Ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2 and join. Sides and top of cross Ch3 2dc, ch2, dc3 in any ch2 sp. Turn and *sl to ch2, ch3,2dc, ch2,3dc. *Turn and repeat * repeat everything in this step 3 more times. Cut thread and weave in ends at the ends of the sides. Bottom of the cross When you get to the last side repeat the * section 2 more times for a total of 4 shells for the bottom and 2 shells for the sides not including the center. On the top of the cross attach yarn and chain 26, skip the first 5 and sl to the first chain. Then I added a tassel. If thread isn't your thing check out this great bookmark Stitch 11 made from my Cross Bangle pattern! Check out the Stitch 11 post here

Easy simple no shaping stocking ornament

Step 1 This is the star stitch but you can make these any size and any stitch just make it in this shape. The above sample has 19 star stiches on the bottom ( 2 rows plus beginning hdc row)and reduces to 10 star stiches ( 3 rows) step 2 turn so the right sides are facing each other, and sew them together like the above picture,. isdsjfklajlkdsjc step three turn right side out! attach a chain 5 if desires so you can hang it. I am making about 30 of these for my 6 year old to hand out as Christmas gifts at school with mini candy canes in them! Below is a crochet chart for a basic hdc stocking but you can use any stitch. * turn at the end of every row,  * ch1 and hdc in the first stitch of every row Row 1 ( starts from the bottom up) chain 38 Row 2 38 hdc Row3-6 repeat row 2 Row 7 starting 11 stitches over ( you can do this my sl or if you alternate colors just attach the yarn on the 11th stitch) hdc in the next 18 stitch  Row 8 until- (desires length i